The goal of the lab projects is to develop geometric intuition by using computer graphics to help visualize and understand the mathematical objects discussed in the course. The Labs are part of the course. They meet once a week in room 1200 SEO on Tuesday or Thursday. Your Lab may meet at a different time from your lecture---see the schedule on the "Sections" page.
- 1. An introduction to Maple
- A practical demonstration of the Maple commands used in this course.
- 2. Space Curves and Motion
- Using Maple to plot space curves.
- 3. Functions of two variables, contour plots and level curves
- A geometric first look at contour plots and surfaces.
- 4. Continuity and Differentiability
- Zooming in on the graph of a function of two variables.
- 5. Gradients and Vector Fields
- The relationship between the gradient vectors of a function and its graph, contours, tangent plane and directional derivatives.
- 6. Critical Points of Functions of Two Variables
- Identification of critical points and exploration of different critical point behaviors.
- 7. When is a Vector Field a Gradient Vector Field?
- Visual identification of conservative and non-conservative vector fields.
Below is the schedule for the weekly computer lab. Note that in addition to the potential quizzes scheduled below, your instructor may decide to give additional quizzes during the lectures. More information about the quizzes will be given by your instructor.
|1||T 01/15 or R 01/17||Start Lab 1|
|2||T 01/22 or R 01/24||Finish Lab 1, Quiz|
|3||T 01/29 or R 01/31||Start Lab 2, Quiz|
|4||T 02/05 or R 02/07||Finish Lab 2, Quiz|
|5||T 02/12 or R 02/14||Start Lab 3, Quiz|
|6||T 02/19 or R 02/21||Finish Lab 3, Quiz|
|7||T 02/26 or R 02/28||Start Lab 4|
|8||T 03/05 or R 03/07||Finish Lab 4, Quiz|
|9||T 03/12 or R 03/14||Start Lab 5, Quiz|
|10||T 03/19 or R 03/21||Finish Lab 5, Quiz|
|11||T 04/02 or R 04/04||Start Lab 6, Quiz|
|12||T 04/09 or R 04/11||Finish Lab 6|
|13||T 04/16 or R 04/18||Start Lab 7, Quiz|
|14||T 04/23 or R 04/25||Finish Lab 7, Quiz|
|15||T 04/30 or R 05/02||Makeup Labs|