Giving to MSCS
The funds that support the MSCS community and provide scholarships and awards for MSCS students all depend on the generosity of our friends and supporters. It is easy to give to any of these funds. The form below will take you to a secure website at the University of Illinois Foundation, where you can make a donation by credit card. (Scroll down for descriptions of the funds.)
MSCS Funds at the University of Illinois Foundation
- The MSCS Unrestricted Fund
- The purpose of this current-use fund is to support activities that build the MSCS community and enhance the quality of life in the department. Examples include: supporting the social activities of the Mathematics Graduate Students Association, funding research projects by MSCS graduate students, and rehabilitation of seminar rooms, student lounges and the common room.
- The Louise Hay Department of Mathematics Award Fund
- Endowed fund created by Professor Louise Hay, Head of the MSCS Department from 1980 until her death in 1989. The award has been given since 1984 "to assist outstanding female students in the MSCS Department."
- The Herbert Alexander Award Fund
- Endowed fund created by Susan Alexander in memory of her husband. Professor Herbert Alexander was a distinguished analyst who taught in the MSCS department from 1975 until his death in 1999. The award is given annually to an outstanding undergraduate or graduate student in the MSCS Department.
- The Kathy Hill Cawthon Award Fund
- Endowed fund created in honor of his daughter by Professor Roger Hill, who joined the UIC Mathematics department when the UIC campus was located on Navy Pier, and who remains a great supporter of MSCS. The award is given annually to a sophomore in the MSCS department. Preference is given to women students.
- The Nicholas A Yassan Award Fund
- Endowed fund created by Nicholas A. Yassan, an MSCS graduate, class of 2003! The award is given annually to a junior in the MSCS department. Preference is given to women students.
- The Victor Twersky Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Endowed fund created by the Twersky family to honor Professor Victor Twersky, an applied mathematician in the MSCS department from 1966 to 1990. Undergraduate and graduate MSCS students majoring in applied mathematics are eligible for the award.
- The Jeff E. Lewis Mathematics Seminar Fund
- Endowed fund created in 1995 by MSCS Emeritus Professor Jeff E. Lewis to pay expenses for speakers in MSCS seminars.
- The Philip Wagreich Memorial Scholarship
- Fund created in the memory of former MSCS Professor Philip Wagreich. Once the fund account has reached the level where it is self-sustaining, it will provide a scholarship for an undergraduate or graduate student in the UIC Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science.
- The Wojciech Komornicki Summer Math Fund
- This current-use fund was created in memory of Wojciech Komornicki, a mathematics professor who earned his PhD at UIC in 1977. Its purpose is to support programs developed by the department to recruit students to mathematics. This may include math workshops or research projects for middle school or high school students.
- Yeuk-Lam Yau-Leung Memorial Scholarship Fund
- This fund was created by Stephen Yau in memory of his mother Yeuk-Lam Yau-Leung. An award will be given to assist applied mathematics students each year, with priority given to students working in bioinformatics.