One year before completion
- One year must elapse between passing doctoral candidacy requirements and the defense of the dissertation.
One semester before you plan to defend
- Contact the Associate Director of Graduate Studies to confirm that all degree requirements have been met.
- Confirm deadlines for filing the Intent to Graduate and for submitting the approved and defended thesis.
At the start of the semester in which you plan to defend
- File an Intent to Graduate at your my.uic.edu account.
Thirty days prior to your thesis defense
- Submit a completed Committee Recommendation form to the Graduate Studies Office at least 30 days PRIOR to the defense date.
You must include the title of your paper, and this title CANNOT
be changed once the Committee Recommendation form is submitted. Print the form, obtain your advisor's signature,
attach a copy of the outside member's curriculum vitae, and submit to the MSCS Graduate Studies office.
The Committee Recommendation Form MUST be typed, or it will be returned by the Graduate College.
A few days prior to your defense
- Once your advisor will receives your official paperwork for the defense from the MSCS Graduate Studies office,
you or your advisor should email all committee members to remind them of the date, time, and location of the exam.
Submitting your defended/approved thesis
- Refer to the Graduate College website for instructions on the Electronic Submission of the Thesis.
- As part of online submission, you will need to provide the email address of the MSCS Director of Graduate Studies
who serves as the "program thesis format reviewer". This email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
After your defense
- Establish a file of recommendation letters in Math Jobs.
- Contact three (3) or more faculty to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf, and submit to Math Jobs.