Important Information for all UIC Freshman and Transfer Students
- Initial Mathematics Course Placement
- New and transfer students are placed into an initial mathematics course based on ALEKS placement results
or AP scores. See the ALEKS placement page for information about ALEKS.
Transfer students can also be placed into MSCS courses on the basis of transfer credit.
It is crucial for success at UIC that students be placed into courses for which they have
- CCC Agreement
- Chicago City College transfer students with insufficient placement test scores
can still be admitted to a course if ...
- AP Exams
- UIC awards college credit for certain MATH and MCS courses to students who have sufficiently
high scores on Advanced Placement exams. Of course, these students are not required to take the
Math Placement Exam and may register directly into the appropriate class. Students should contact
the college board if AP scores have not been recorded correctly.
- Math Labs
- Tutoring for Math 070 through Math 210 is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the semester.
Times and locations are announced in class.
- Proficiency Exams
- Proficiency exams are given at the end of each semester. Students must first get approval from their college and their major advisor.
Rules governing the exam can be found in the undergraduate catalog. Students may petition to take proficiency exams in SEO 322 near the end of the term.
- Emerging Scholars Program
- ESP offers workshops where students can work on challenging mathematics problems with classmates using innovative techniques of cooperative learning...